Work Education Agreement Ontario

Students who are in vocational training or apprenticeship must be at least fourteen years old. Before a student is placed with an employer, the school management must decide whether the student is insured by the Ministry of Education or the Ombudsman for the Benefits of the Safety and Insurance Committee of the Labour Safety (WSIB). In most cases, coverage for these students is provided by the ministry, but school boards must ensure, with the help of mediators, that WSIB requirements are properly met before and during internships. In all types of vocational training programs, local businesses and agencies work with headteachers to provide students with broad learning opportunities. Because these programs are based on education experience, not productivity, students generally do not receive salaries from the employment giver. (Student expense or fee allowances are not considered salaries for the purposes of safety and insurance committee benefits.) The Education Act states that the Minister of Education may “prescribe the conditions under which and under what conditions board students are considered workers for the purposes of the insurance plan put in place by the Safety and Insurance Act; In 1997, Ontario reimbursed Ontario`s payments under the insurance plan for such a student” (1 According to the WSIA, workers who have suffered a workplace injury or have contracted an illness are entitled to benefits such as compensation for their loss of income and permanent disabilities, as well as health and rehabilitation benefits. For more information on these benefits, please visit the WSIB website. A student who suffers from an injury or illness that suffers injury or illness during the employment or education component of the job or experience component during the placement or experience component must report the injury or illness to the employer and teacher concerned with all the details, including the exact time, location and circumstances in which the illness was sustained. A work-related injury or illness that requires only first aid treatment should not be reported to the WSIB, but a recording of the details must be kept by the school`s management. If students receive salaries, vocational training or experience-learning programs, the mediator is considered an employer under the WSIA and is responsible for providing WSIA coverage. For these students, a WEA form must be completed and headteachers must indicate in the appropriate section of the form that it is the employer, not the department, that provides WSIA coverage. In the event of an injury or illness in the workplace requiring health treatment, the student must complete the WSIB Work Report on Injuries/Illnesses (Form 6). By completing a report on Form 6, the student is entitled to benefits and accepts that his or her physician may provide the placement professional with personal information about the student`s ability to return to work.

The student must send a copy of the report to the school principal`s representative, who must send a copy to the ministry. Note that WSIB only delivers benefits for up to two weeks (for example. (B) health care or loss of services) if the student does not submit a report on Form 6. The ministry requires principals to submit the total number of placement hours each year from September 1 to August 31 (school year) for which the Ministry of Education has provided WSIA coverage for students participating in each of the following: WSIA coverage organized through the ministry applies only to the hours and data listed in the WEA form. In cases where the student and/or employer wishes to change the hours or dates set out in the WEA form, a supplementary note must be added to the form to ensure that the WSIA coverage required for the student is maintained.

Share this :